Life insurance is important especially when it comes to a family or business, at the same time it can be a hassle. Luckily, with accelerated underwriting life insurance– a form of term life insurance (some carriers provide permanent solutions as well) that can cut down the application process from a few months to a few weeks by skipping the medical exam – protecting your family has never been easier. Without life insurance families don’t have time to grieve before they have to start thinking about an upcoming bill, and it won’t be long until they have to consider college, retirement, and other financial obligations – all without the support of a lost income… as a result, why not take a look at an accelerated process to protecting your family or business today.
Skip the life insurance medical exam
Accelerated underwriting is the life insurance industry’s attempt at getting more people insured with less hassle than the older, more traditional route of having to take part in a medical exam. It typically involves a telephone interview and a background check,. The background check usually consists of a look at the medical information bureau, prescription database and motor vehicle records. Insurance companies understand that people are busy, scheduling a medical exam and taking a medical exam might not fit into the hectic work schedule, picking the kids up from their sports practice and/or getting dinner started after a long day. Medical exams usually take between 15-20 minutes, yes it doesn’t take that much time, but still if you’re able to skip it, why wouldn’t you?
Get Life Insurance Coverage Quickly
Traditional life insurance is something that can take up to 8 weeks from the time of the application to approval. There are many times where one Attending Physicians Statement (APS) can hold up the process for an offer for a carrier. An APS is a recap from your doctor about your health history. An APS is not required during accelerated underwriting.
Applying for coverage with Accelerated Underwriting Life Insurance can provide an approval from one to two weeks. We recently had a case where the client was approved in 4 days with Principal!
Get Insurance Quote
It can be the same cost as going through Full Traditional Underwriting
There are carriers that have Accelerated Underwriting Life Insurance, and there are carriers that have what is called Simplified Issued Life Insurance. Accelerated Underwriting Life Insurance as noted above will require a phone interview and a bit of a background check. Simplified Issued Life Insurance will provide coverage to the insured as long as they have the correct answers on roughly 15 health questions, plus will run a background check. The difference in terms of pricing, Simplified Issued Life Insurance can be nearly three times more expensive than Accelerated Underwriting Life Insurance.
Accelerated Underwriting Life Insurance will provide the same premium rates as traditionally underwriting life insurance, but there are a few specifications which we are going to list by carrier below:
Carriers that will provide Accelerated Underwriting Life Insurance
- Allianz: Fast Track AccUW. Available on their LifePro+ IUL, age range 25-60. Face Amounts: Up to $1,000,000
- Axa: EasyUnderwriting Program. Available on ALL products. age range 18-50. Face Amounts: Up to $500,000 – Brightlife Grow up to $2,000,000
- Global Atlantic: Fast Lane Underwriting. Available on Term, Universal Life & Indexed Universal Life. age range 18-60. Face Amount up to $1,000,000
- John Hancock: Express Track. Available on all products. age range 18-60. Face amount up to $1,000,000
- Legal & General: APPcelerate. Available on Term & Universal Life policies. age range 20-50. Face Amounts: Up to $1,000,000
- Lincoln: LincXpress. Term & Permanent Policies. age range 18-60. Face Amounts: Up to $1,000,000
- Lincoln: Lincoln TermAccel. Term Life 15/20/30 year. age range 18-50. Face Amounts: $100,000 – $500,000
- Nationwide: Intelligent UW. Term, Universal Life, Indexed Universal Life, Whole Life. age range 18-60. Face Amounts: Up to $1,000,000
- Principal: Accelerated Underwriting. Available on all products. age range 18-60. Face Amounts: Up to $1,000,000
- Protective: Plus. Available on their Classic Choice Term & Custom Choice UL. age range 18-60. Face Amounts: Up to $1,000,000 to age 45. Age 45-60 up to $500,000
- Prudential: PruFast Track. Available on all Single Life policies. age range 18-60. Face Amounts: Up to $1,000,000
- Securian (Minnesota Life) WriteFit. Available on all Single Life policies. age range 18-54. Face Amounts: Up to $1,000,000
Yes…you can apply for up to $1,000,000 in coverage with certain carriers and not ever have to go through a medical!!
Each carrier has a different list of underwriting questions, and questions that they will ask you during the phone interview. Because of that we will always provide the carriers checklist of information they will go over with you in the phone interview so you are fully prepared.
Build Carts & What to Expect During your Telephone Interview
Build Charts are apart of just about every life insurance policy, here is a sample build chart that an accelerated underwriting life insurance carrier will use.
The build chart above is one that Principal Life Insurance Company uses for their Accelerated Underwriting program. Each carrier has their own build chart, which means some carriers will have different ranges than the one from Principal. If you were to fall outside of this build chart, it could mean that you may have to go through further underwriting BUT DO NOT WORRY! We have found by going through the Accelerated Underwriting programs, it also speeds up the underwriting process if a client does have to go through further underwriting.
Sample Telephone Interview Questions:
Applicant must answer “Yes” to all of the following questions. A “No” answer will disqualify you from the Accelerated Underwriting program and you must submit to a medical examination.
- Applicant is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident with no travel to hazardous locations.
- Stated blood pressure is less than 140/85.
- No life, health or disability insurance has been rated, or declined.
- Total cholesterol is less than 220, and cholesterol/HDL ratio is less than 5.0.
- No history of bankruptcy in the past five years.
- No history of felony conviction in the past five years.
- If age 50 or greater, applicant has a primary care physician and evidence of routine physicals.
- No parent or sibling death from cardiovascular disease, stroke or diabetes prior to age 60.
- Have No parent or sibling death from breast, colon, ovarian or prostate cancer prior to age 60.
- No history of DUI or reckless driving within five years, or more than two moving violations in the past three years.
Much like the build chart, answering yes to any of the questions above may force you to complete a medical exam as part of your application. Each carrier is different, the questions above are from Principals Accelerated Underwriting Program.
Accelerated underwriting makes it easy for you to check life insurance off your to-do list, and it means that your family and business is protected that much faster. It is also peace of mind for parents and business owners wondering what more they could be doing to protect their family and business. Most importantly a huge weight lifted off your shoulders when you know that you are doing everything you can for them now, and everything you can to protect them in the future.